Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Good week, but gas is high

Hello all! I hope that the past week has treated you well. My week has been pretty productive. Since I lost my substituting job I have been working loosely with a business named One Stop Promo Shop. The owners are friends of mine and have actually helped me in the past be printing out my brochures. So, I am financially better than I was a week ago thanks to them.


Now that I know that I will be in Douglas for a while longer I can start planning some new things to help me raise support. One neat idea that my friend Deek came up with is to make a short video about what I will be doing in Estonia. (Deek also has a featured article on youthministry.com, which I thought was pretty neat) It probably won’t take very long if we start making it within the next few days, so I will probably be putting it into my repertoire in the next few weeks.


Gas prices are going up, the economy doesn’t look very good. Many people are distressing over their financial situation. As an end to this blog I just feel compelled to comment on my feelings towards this. I have heard many times that we should be good stewards with our money, and I agree, but I think my definition of “good steward” is different that several of my friends’ who use this phrase.It seems that to be a “good steward” in the conventional way is to save my money wisely so I don’t need to rely on the money of others to survive. It seems to me, however, that being a “good steward” has more to do with the usefulness of the money given to you than in the saving of it. What I mean by this is that the money we have should be used for our own benefit, but if we are to be “good stewards” then it is also to be used just as much for the benefit of others. I say this because the temptation right now is to take money that would normally be spent on someone else (I’m not talking about gifts to friends or loved ones, but of giving to people who need it more than you like the poor) and keeping it for yourself. Fight this temptation. Be good stewards with your money by making sure that those people who are not able to have their needs met are taken care of. What do you guys think about this?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good post, Josh. That's a good way to look at it. --A. Aucoin

Clevey said...

Josh, I agree with you, as the economy worsens the temptation is to hoard due to worry. But, we have to trust God, continue to give and learn to live more basic each day. Maybe we'll begin to see how selfishly we live on a daily basis as our self-fund lowers. I'm a little worried myself, I've been thinking about how I spend my dough on me a lot of times too.

ambassador A said...

I agree with Clevey and you as well. I believe that as we learn to live off of just what we need then we will see how much we really have. Then we should look for those who need it more than ourselves. Share their burden and share your blessing.

Skwirl said...

Dr. Aucoin- Thanks for commenting!

Clevey- I hope you're right and that we (Christians) see just how materialistic we are despite our claims not to be. Thanks for the comment!

Ambassador- Bingo! I think that's a great description of what should happen. Thanks for commenting!

WAShere said...

skwirl, good definition of 'good steward'.

Skwirl said...

Wayne- Thanks! Maybe I'll write a dictionary one day, heh.